Dear Parents and Carers,
Right of the Month: Every child has the right to relax, play and take part in a wide range of cultural and artistic activities. This links with National School Grounds week on the 10th-14th June. It is a week to encourage learning outside. The Rights Respecters have designed two obstacle courses for the children to take part in Soccer Aid by doing the playground challenge to raise money for UNICEF. Details will come from your class teachers.
- Edinburgh Schools Film Competition 2019: Finlay and Leo in P7A, Noah, Innes and Eva in P7B and Mae, Alex and Lewis from P7C have been nominated for an award for their short animations ‘Hurricanes’ and ‘Wildfires’ on Friday 21st June at the Edinburgh Filmhouse at 10am.
- For those of you who like early diary dates, Flu Vaccinations will be on Wednesday 04 December 2019. Details will be emailed to you nearer the time.
- Composite Classes: The CEC Policy and Frequently asked questions have been added to our School Website. A meeting has been organised for the P1/P2 class for 2019-2020 on Tuesday 25 June at 3.30pm in Room 3.
- Please do not leave any bikes or scooters in the sheds overnight or the weekend. I am told one was taken at this weekend. The Community Police Person has been informed and we shall remind the children at Assembly. We did find one grey and one blue scooter in the bin on Monday, if either is yours, please let us know.
- Staffing Update: Kate Hansen retired in January and Lorraine Johnston is going to teach groups for Support for Learning after the summer (as both work part time, we shall replace them with one full time teacher). Emily Kidd is taking time out of teaching to travel round Australia. Two teachers, Jain Whitehead and Emily McLeod will be joining our team. We welcome Mrs Julie Allison Wosu as a new pupil support assistant and we wish Samaira Zuber all the best of luck as she moves into a new career. Maureen Hunter, our swimming teacher is retiring in July.
Next year’s probationers are Sanni Suhonen and Christie Allen. I shall share who is taking which class on Friday 21 June, we just have a few final details to arrange.
- Pupil End of Session Reports will go home on Friday 21 June. If your child’s does not arrive safely, please let us know.
- A reminder to share your views: this session we have been working on ‘Developing the Young Workforce’ as part of our Improvement Plan which was shared with you in June 2018. Staff have been discussing skills for learning, life and work with their classes and they have encouraged the children to lead and talk about learning. Over 70 parents and carers shared information on their chosen careers with the children, which was a great response. We would like to know your views to help us plan next steps and I invite you to give feedback to us using the link https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/LTNJQ8Z .
- The City of Edinburgh Council would like to encourage all pupils, parents and staff to have their say on the future of Edinburgh as part of the Edinburgh City Centre Transformation Project. Please share your views on plans to improve public spaces and prioritise travel on foot, by bike and on public transport in the city centre. The full questionnaire is open until Friday 28 June and accessible here A child friendly one has been emailed to all classes to complete.
You asked about:
- A class representative for additional support for learning. If you are interested in this, please contact the Parent Council, we are pleased to support.
- Traffic in the area: a good time to ask, please have your say in the survey above and we shall continue working with the Parent Council, CEC and the police on this. Details of ‘A Walking Bus’ will be shared after the summer, the Parent Council are working on this. Details to follow.
Please remember there are no Parent Council after School clubs on the last week of term and no Kidzcare on the last day.
School closes at 12 noon on Friday 28 June.
Kind regards, Carol Kyle