Dear Parents and Carers,
I am using this week’s Head Teacher Blog to bring you up to date on actions from the Parent Council Meeting on 14 March 2018.
- We are updating our communications to parents and carers who have children working with the Support for Learning Team. The SfL Team work across the classes to support and challenge pupils. Teachers will be reminded that it is important that any changes throughout the year are communicated to Parents and Carers.
- I shall work with the Management Team and Parent Council on clarifying our plans for cross class learning and class organisation. We shall share this with you when this review is complete.
- Mr Donald Smith (PE Teacher) will replace Mr Ray and start after the Easter Holidays.
- We shall work with the Parent Council to review our photographer for next session following concerns over quality. If you have any issues over quality, please contact the photographer directly.
- The Junior Road Safety Team will meet with Mr Wood (DHT) to update our School Travel Plan after the Easter Holidays. The team will update you on their progress throughout the term and ways for you to become involved.
- Thank you to all who purchased books at our Book Fair. The School has been given £1500 of books from this, which will go into our school and class libraries.
- World Book Day was missed due to the snow and the children have the opportunity to share their books and dress up on Thursday 29 March.
- The markings on the front playground will be laid on Monday 26 March. This will be completed in sections to minimise disruption. We are all looking forward to seeing this section of our playground improvements complete.
- I have just been told, we shall have ninety Primary One pupils next session. This will take the same format as this year with a Team Teacher in one of the classes (however, this is, as always, subject to change if our numbers change).
- If you would like to discuss anything with one of the Depute Head Teachers please contact: P1 Ms Dobie; P2-P4 Ms Lamond; P5-P7: Mr Wood.
As always, if there is anything at all we can do to help, please just ask.
Dear Parents and Carers,
- Thanks to P2 pupils and staff who shared their learning with us on Hot and Cold Lands. A very enjoyable afternoon was had by all.
- Our Euro Quiz Team came 7th out of 22 teams which made the finals last week. The children enjoyed the experience of working at the Parliament and have given us some very good tips on areas to develop further.
- Litter: our Eco Team are leading ‘reducing litter’ with all the classes. Well done Eco Team! Please do all you can to help them by reducing packaging in packed lunches and snacks.
- ‘Earth Hour’ is on Saturday 24th March at 8.30pm. Businesses, famous landmarks and families are switching off electricity for one hour to help raise awareness for climate change. We are supporting this in school on Friday 23rd March when all classes will spend an hour ‘tech free and paper free’ and we shall switch off all non-essential appliances.
- The Easter Service, led by P5 is on Wednesday 21 March at Barclay Viewforth Church. Doors open at 1.45pm for 2.00pm start. Please join us if you can.
- Open Day at the new Boroughmuir High School is on Saturday 24thMarch from 11am – 4pm, you are all invited. An additional celebration and fundraising event for former pupils and parents is on Friday 23rd March 4.30 – 7.00pm. If you would like to attend, tickets are £15 from https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boroughmuir-high-school-new-school-reception-tickets-43548533837?aff=eac2 I am told, Ronnie Brown (The Corrie’s) will unveil a commissioned painting of the ‘old’ school at 5.30pm and some of the BHS musicians will play throughout the event.
- Please remember school closes at the usual time on Thursday 29 March for the Easter Holidays and reopens on Tuesday 17 April 2018.
If there is anything I or any member of staff can do to help, please let me know. We are all here to help.
Well the weather held and we managed to compete in the Meadows XC Competition on the 26th Feb 2018. The distance is a mile and this year I had 40 children who ran. We won 2 medals for the P7 girls and they were Freya who came in second and Isla who came in fifth. Megan was 12th, Rhona 25th, Tess 29th and Alice 31st and Katharine 49th. These are excellent results for the girls. The P7 boys who got placed were Charlie 13th, Charlie G 15th , Robert 32nd, Erik 35th Sam 49th, Liam 59th Archie P 66th The P6 boys were Edward 32nd, Max 36th Alex K 39th Lewis 67th The P6 Girls wer Georgina 11th , Ava 17th Amber 18th Sophie 30th Maia 42nd Rosie 47th
I haven’t written down all the results as some I don’t have but they all did exceptionally well on the day and they should all be proud of themselves.
At the end of February our Sportshall team were representing Edinburgh City at the East of Scotland Regional Finals where we were up against all the teams that had won their heats. It was tough competition on the day but the children did their very best and out of 10 teams our school came in 5th. Craiglockhart won with score of 694 points and we had a score of 598 points. I still think you should have been fourth as you were all capable of it but there were a few lessons learnt on the day about how to cope when under pressure and if it has taught them that then I am very happy. No matter you all still did great and I am proud of you all.
Dear Parents and Carers,
- Good to see everyone back safe and well after all the snow and even better to see the sunshine today!
- Our Badminton Team won the Scottish Schools Badminton Union Quaich at Ravenscraig Regional Sports Centre to become Primary School Scottish Champions. I am told there were some really hard matches but they ‘played as a team and won as a team’. Thanks to all the children and Ruth McCallister who organised the matches and their coach Michael Louden.
- Merchiston Tennis Club organise a Junior Tennis Camp from Monday 2 April to Friday 6 April. Please be aware information on all holiday clubs are sent to us, they are not organised by the school.
- Education Scotland’s Parentzone Annual Conference is in Edinburgh this year with the focus on Parental Engagement on 10th March 2018, further information available from https://www.npfs.org.uk/2017/11/annual-conference-2018/
- The children have made their selections for designs for the front playground, quotes are in process. I shall let you know when we are able to finish this.
- P7 Transition letters to Boroughmuir High School will be with P7 parents and carers shortly, please look out for them.
- P2 Hot and Cold Lands CfE Showcase has been rescheduled for Wednesday 14 March in the Stage Hall.
- P3 Pirate CfE Showcase is on Thursday 15 March in the Basement Gym.
- P7 World War II Tea Dance is on Thursday 15 March in the Stage Hall.
- Details and times for all events are shared with you via the class teachers.
As always, if you have any concerns or questions, please let us know, we are all here to help.
Due to the adverse conditions Edinburgh City Council are keeping all schools shut on Friday the 2nd of March. We will not be open.
Due to severe weather conditions, Bruntsfield Primary School will be closed on Thursday 1st of March.
Due to severe weather conditions Bruntsfield Primary School will be closed today the 28th Feb 2018.