Dear Parents and Carers.
- Harvest: many thanks to our P3 classes who have been learning about Harvest. They will share their learning on their class Teams page on Friday for you to enjoy. Thanks to Rev. David Clarkson, Minister of Barclay Viewforth Church who has shared his Harvest Service with us. The children will see it in their classes. P3 and the Minister focused on food around the world. I particularly liked the world map made up of the word Thank You in many different languages, and the guide on how to plant an avocado seed – something to try over the holiday!
- Equalities: I heard part of an interview before work on Wednesday from John Burns, a former footballer. He was so interesting to listen to when he talked about his experiences of racism and advice. I believe his book is out this week and I look forward to reading it. Examples of class activities linked to Black History Month will be shared on Twitter later this month.
- Show Racism the Red Card: We are showing our support by wearing something red this Friday. One of the children suggested making a red heart badge to wear if you have nothing in the wardrobe – excellent idea!
- The Rights Respecters, Eco and Digital Learning Team will be joining forces to work towards some common Global Goals to promote sustainable living. Building on existing links that the Rights Respecters have established with a partner school in Malawi, along with George Watson’s College, they hope to encourage greater responsibility in the school and wider community to REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE. They will create sculptures, along with information about our three focus goals of:
- Life Below Water (P1 and P6)
- Life On Land (P2, P3, P3/4 and P4)
- Sustainable Cities and Communities (P5 and P7)
The children’s sculptures will be lit with solar LED lighting. Please donate any single use plastic bottles to the school to help. After the October break, we shall leave containers at the school gates to collect any bottles, which we will disinfect before use. Well done Rights Respecters, Eco and Digital Learning Teams, a great project!
- Congratulations to: a former pupil, Addie Handley, who now plays football for Hearts. Hearts Women Sign Addie Handley | Heart Of Midlothian Football Club (heartsfc.co.uk). We love hearing how our former pupils are doing, so do keep us updated.
- Spare clothes we have set up a cabinet for anyone who needs to borrow clothes if there have been any spills, splits or ‘woops-a-daisy’ moments. The school office staff and Pupil Support Assistants are there to help find the right size.
- Recycling Clothes: bags of lost property will be available for families who would like them. Details to follow. Lots of washing, ironing and bagging going on at the moment!
- Sanitary Bins are discreetly placed in the girls and visitors’ toilets. We also have sanitary towels available for anyone who needs them. Girls may ask their teacher (or any other member of staff) for them.
- School reopens for pupils on Tuesday 26 October. Please remember warm clothes as we shall continue to have the rooms well ventilated. Please bring waterproofs for wet days and learning outdoors.
Have a lovely holiday week everyone. I love all the Autumn colours, I do hope you find time to go out and enjoy them.