Dear Parents and Carers:
- P1 Teachers shared how children learn and what the P1 curriculum looks like at their workshop last week. I am pleased the opportunity to learn about the active, planned, purposeful play approach we use to enhance learning and teaching was helpful.
- Our staff training this week was on Visual Timetables and Signs around the school, presented by the Additional Support for Learning Service. This programme of consistent resources for all schools, has been produced in consultation with partnership services. It will be interesting to learn what the children think of their new class visual timetable and signs for resources.
- We are looking forward to seeing you next week at Parent and Carer Consultation Meetings. Please help teachers run to time by knocking at the door when your time is due to start.
- Children’s friendships go up and down and occasionally they fall out, either in or out of school. If this happens, the teachers are happy to help them. If you have any concerns or worries, please come in and talk to us, rather than approaching the children directly in the playground about this.
At last night’s Parent Council Meeting, you asked about:
- Milk: the milk is delivered each morning and the children have it at break time. If for any reason your child has not received theirs, please send a note to the class teacher. I have reminded all the teachers to check their milk list with their class.
- ParentPay for new parents and cares: Our School Administrator is working with parents to help set this up, there seems to be a small box which needs to be ticked. If you are unable to access ParentPay, please contact Pat John or Ingrid Ramsay, both are happy to help.
- Class timetables: Last session, teachers shared a class timetable with parents and they will do this for this session at Parent and Carer Consultation Meetings next week. Dates for Showcase Events, End of Term Parties and Sports Day will be included. Copies will be posted in the class section of our website. Dates of excursions will be shared, via ParentPay, as trips are organised throughout the year.
- Arts: already we are seeing art being displayed around the classrooms and children are enjoying our new Music Programme, which was produced by CEC in partnership with Youth Music. I have asked staff to share some of the art work on the class website as the year progresses and we shall discuss possible ways to share music, drama and dance with you as well as at our Showcase Events for each stage throughout the year.
- Snacks: Healthy snacks are always the best option. Reducing packaging would be great, as we do have a fair amount of litter to pick up! We have some children with allergies and appreciate it if all nuts and peanuts are avoided. In the past, parents have suggested a small sandwich, yogurt, nut free cereal bars and best of all fruit- bananas work very well. If you have any other good ideas, please ask your child to share with their class.
- Packed lunches: if your child is not eating enough of their packed lunch, please inform your class teacher who will liaise with the Dining Room staff.
- STEM/STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) is a phrase you may hear in the media and in education. Some have added art, as there is creativity in designing science experiments, trailing new technology etc, hence STEA Science, Technology, Engineering, ART and Maths. All are part of our Curriculum and the teachers and children make the connections as they progress in their learning.
- There is no truth in the rumour that children can opt out of PE on a Friday. We have two hours of PE per week for all classes.
- Christmas card designs: A group of parents will select a company to produce Christmas cards and gifts using children’s designs. This is entirely optional, you are welcome to order as you wish. We shall share details, dates and costs when they come to us.
- P1 lines: bringing the whole class out at the end of the day was suggested to make collecting children quicker, we shall try this today. If all parents could stand a little further back please, I do think this may work.
- Starting and finishing times: P1 and P2 start at 8.50am and finish at 3.15pm. P3-P7 start at 8.45am and finish at 3.20pm. Occasionally the bells need to be adjusted by a minute or two – this requires a particular engineer to do this and it may take a day or two for him to arrive.
- Information for new parents and cares: Whist all the information is on our Website and in Handbooks, new parents have appreciated the help from other parents. This is something we can ask the class reps to help us with. Mr Wood (DHT) has offered to progress this suggestion. We give new pupils a buddy, so a parent buddy could catch on!
I look forward to seeing you next week and if you need my help in any way, please just ask.